[TenTec] Scout Maladies

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout Maladies
From: k7ej@televar.com (Gary Grove, K7EJ)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 17:28:49 -0700

The "headphone whine" of the Scout/Argo also drove me bananas, but not as
much as the band modules did.  I used a full set of band modules for a Scout
and an Argo for about 2 years, and it seemed as if I was having continual
module alignment problems. Some would work in the Scout, but not in the Argo
(and vice-versa).   In fact, during the 2 years that I owned the Scout, it
spent more time at the factory than it did in my shack (because of this
problem).  My conclusion was not that they weren't good rigs, but that Ten
Tec should market a full-banded version of the Scout for a bit more money
(~1,0000).

However, the Scout and Argo (both have been sold) had world-class receivers
that made all of the minor inconveniences associated with a "novel"
bandswitching arrangement irrelevant.

K7EJ