[TenTec] Century 22 op

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Century 22 op
From: AB4KX@aol.com (AB4KX@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 12:12:45 EDT
Hello to Peter et al:
I have two Century 22s always enjoy operating them.  I also have  two Corsair
2s with all the filters and of course the is little comparison on receive.
When operating the Century 22s I have little problem if I simply put the RIT
in the center detente position, zero beat the desired signal then use the
offset to whichever side results in the least QRM.  The most difficult
situation is when there is a strong undesired signal next to the weaker
desired one, or  equally strong signals 1.5 KHz either side of the desired
signal.  I have found the RX sensitivity to be adequate and has never been a
limiting factor in QSOs.
I am always looking for a simple and very reliable rig that has relatively
low current drain and works well on CW and so far the Century 22 seems
optimum.  The Scout requires up to 9 modules, the IC706 is too expensive and
has fair keying at best, the new SGC 2020 - at least the only one I heard on
cw puts out a MCW signal with a key up spur that makes it sound like RTTY.
Repairs are also a factor in reliability.  Since Icom appears to have a
policy of not supporting rigs older than ten years, they are out - I cannot
spend $2,000 to $3,000 every ten years on an HF rig.  Kenwood repairs are a
nightmare - if they can be done at all  ( One op reported sending his TS940
to California more than 7 times at his expense and the problem was never
fixed  )  -- Yaesu takes 8 to 12 weeks if the repairs can be done at all
according to some reports I have heard.   That of leaves TENTEC.  Their older
"simpler" rigs can be kept going and that is a major plus in their favor.   I
have not heard from enough Kachina owners to form an opinion.
I would love to hear from anyone who can recommend a rugged, reliable
all-band CW/SSB rig with low to moderate current drain on 12V that can be
fixed and that does not cost the price of a car.
73, Bryan
AB4KX