[TenTec] Whine in Scout audio; high level of IF noise

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Whine in Scout audio; high level of IF noise
From: weingaertner@nac.net (Robert Weingaertner)
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 23:12:18 -0400
IF noise sounds unusual, although you will hear some high freq
"hiss" coming from the audio channel. This is because Ten Tec does
not roll off the high freq audio response as other manufacturers
do. (The other guys do it to mask synthesizer noise). There is
a microprocessor whine in the audio, but it should only be
noticeable at extremely low settings of the audio gain control.
This can ahppen if you are using low Z headphones. Use 600 ohm
or higher 'phones, get phones with a built-in volume control,
add an outboard voltage divider in the headphone plug, or
make up (as I did) a 500 ohm to 8 ohm transformer in a 35 mm
film container wioth plug and jack to go between the rig and
the headphones. This will greatly improve the audio quality
and reduce the relative noise level when using headphones.

         73, Bob WB2VUF