[TenTec] Re: (Jim) OMNI-6+ Stuff

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: (Jim) OMNI-6+ Stuff
From: wdcook@ibm.net (Bill Cook)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 17:44:28 -0400

Jim Reid wrote:

> > Hi Jim, you wrote:
> >
> > "(DSP + audio peak) ON."
> >
> > What audio peak?
>
> Not on a control  separate from the DSP NR button,
> seems to be on the same control.
>
> Not sure how it is done,  but with the NR ON,  CW notes certainly
> do "peak up";  also notice the same on SSB audio.  Maybe it
> is just an artifact of the DSP processing,  but there is a peak
> introduced into the audio with the TT DSP in my Omni.
>
> 73,  Jim,  KH7M

I have noticed this too.  It was more pronouced with the stock filters
and less pronounced with the Inrad types; 2.4 10p at 9 and 2.4 10p at
6.  I noticed this effect, with the stock filters, varied slightly with
passband tuning because of ripple in the 6meg IF filter.
Probably some effect from the 9meg filter too.

The Omni VI+ and upgd 1-3 DSP have approx 15db of noise reduction in
CW.  This would sound like a peaking of the audio in the 500 to 1000cps
area.  When in SSB mode the DSP works reasonably well if the rcvd xmtr
audio is clear.  "Muddy" audio does not do-well at
all.  I work VK and ZL during the week around 4-6 am edt on the low end
of 40 SSB and VK5CC (Chris) & VK3RM (Randall) both have great audio
clarity, and when the summer 40m noise is high the Omni VI+ DSP pulls
them out.   Actually the Omni VI+ and upgd 1-3 DSP is good enough that
spending $250.00 or more for an external DSP unit is just not worth it!

Like I've said before.  "The Omni VI series is a pretty 'good' radio."
My Scout does a fine job also.

73   Bill    N4WC