[TenTec] Power Supply for alternate radios at same time with Omni 6+ ??

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Power Supply for alternate radios at same time with Omni 6+ ??
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 18:40:22 -0500
Hi, Mike!

>Would this not be true? or am I missing something here?  Has
anyone done
>such a thing? or do I need to employ another separate power
supply for the
>Icom 2 meter base?

Get a separate power supply for the 2-meter radio; they're cheap!

Why put your Omni VI at unnecessary risk!!

>Finally, one last question.. may I use the remote 13.8vdc jack
on the back
>of the Omni to power a muffin fan for the fines on the power
supply?  Seems
>like this is a no-brainer, cuz if it dips in voltage during
transmit, it
>won't matter, the fan will just slow down slightly... who cares?

Yes.  Run the fan...in fact run a couple of fans.  I have two
fans on the shelf above the radio blowing down on the radio's
heatsink...some of the air also comes forward to refresh the
operator (me!).  Electronics (especially high-wattage
electronics) loves cool!

An acquaintance of mine had his Omni VI crater during Field Day.
I suspect it was because he had no fans on the heat sink--it was
about 95 degrees F that day and not much of a breeze..

73,
dale, kg5u