[TenTec] Triton sidetone

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Triton sidetone
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington N4LQ)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 06:27:05 -0400
The sidetone oscillator in Triton's and Omni's was a "relaxation" type
oscillator which produced a sawtooth waveform.  Some people seem to like
this but it would be hard to understand why since cw is usually considered
to be a sine wave. No amount of adjusting will do any good. There have been
two approaches to solving the problem.

1. Add a sharp audio filter at the sidetone's output.
2. Replace the entire sidetone oscillator.

I've done the latter in one of my Omni C's which had the same circuit as the
Triton. The Delta 580 uses a "Bridged T" oscillator which produces a decent
sine wave. This circuit can be found in any ARRL Handbook. It actually uses
less parts than the relaxation oscillator. I removed all sidetone components
and started over with a new circuit. One could also build the T oscillator
on a small board and patch it in.

Other rigs using the relaxation osc. are the Argosy, all Omni A-D and
Corsair. If you really want to hear a bad sidetone, listen to a Heath HW-16
which uses a neon bulb! After doing that, the Triton sounds pretty good.
Steve N4LQ