[TenTec] Tentec Amps

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Tentec Amps
From: pfb@eriecoast.com (Paul)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 12:07:46 -0400
Participants of Tentec Board

John,

Thank you for the words and input.  For the past week or so I have been
negotiating on a Tentec Centaur. We did come terms on price and shipping and
I found it odd that I was sitting down at the computer today to email the
seller to let him know that I am walking away from the transaction.  Before
doing that, I thought I would check my email and found a ton of Tentec.  So
it got me off of the immeidate project at hand a allowed me to relax a bit
and come across you email.

I thought it proper to post this because of the help, input and opinions
that all appeared and responded to my questions.  In the threads and flurry
of e-mails about this endeavour one of the thread participants advised that
it be good business to sumarize in a letter or email and have documentation.
I don't remember if it was Mike, Grover, John, Mitch ---- I apposigize for
that --- I jsut couldn't find the email but I remember it like etched stone
in my mind.  After a lull of a couple of days the seller responded and I
replied with a list of what I was getting.

Examples   1)  One used Tentec 2 year old Centaur
                  2)  Documentation for service
                  3)  Original manual and box
            ect. ect. ect.
The question "is all of this Accurate?" was included.

Total of 7 specifics were listed.  It was at this time that I asked that "if
this was found to not be accurate or I was mislead that I be allowed to
return the shipped item back for a full refund."

In addition, I asked if it could be shipped COD allowing a stressfree,
secure and fast transaction for all.

The response to my latest inquirery was from the seller is "it is all
packaged and ready to go,  if you want it send me a personal check and I
will send you the unit"

That is it ---- no responsse to the list, the verification, the
documentation, the return policy, the COD request.

I am sorry that I do not have access to the email of who reminded me of good
business practice, I thought I saved it but I could not track it down to let
you know how it helped but did I appreciate the reminder.  The unit is
probably fine, and he is probably a great ham and very trustworthy person
but for me to save a couple of hundred and maybe loose over 500 to save
that --I do not think it wise at this time.  There is something about
sending a personal check to and for something that I cannot touch - feel and
see unless it is brand new from a  manufacturer or dealer.  Anyway ----I
don't think this deal is goint to happen.  I do have resevations about
sending a personal check to anyone without the product in hand.  No matter
who they are or what there referances.

So here I sit --- no amp but having fun with our hobby.
And after a week, and saying that I had it all decided, with the deal going
south --- I am still mulling over the idea of a Centurian or an Alpha.   Got
a lead on an Alpha 91b for a sweet price but it is 4 years old but will do
the 1500watts++.  Cost is Same as a new Centurian.  HMMMMMM.  But it will be
a bit of time and will probably be gone by the time that can be a reality.

Paul
KI8HO