[TenTec] Copying CW in your head

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Copying CW in your head
From: w8au@sssnet.com (w8au@sssnet.com)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:43:04 -0400
It's not so much the speed as the mechanism used for sending.
Folks using hand keying (straight key, bug and keyer) use
abbreviations...as many as they can, to allow "more words per minute with
minimum effort."

The proliferation of keyboards (and there are many) has caused the retreat
to "full text and spelling" as a natural result of keyboard and typewriter
education/training.

There's nothing wrong with either.  Each has it's place.  Normally
abbreviations are strictly for QSO's (or old time Landline Morse operators)
and full text is for code practice and bulletins.

Personally, the only thing that bothers me when in QSO with someone sending
"full text" with a keyboard is their use of periods .-.-.- after each
sentence.
Just doesn't flow......
Seasoned hams using keyboards will often make them sound like hand sending,
with abbreviations and no periods.

Hope I didn't exceed my "two bits" worth!

73,

Perry  w8au