[TenTec] Offsets for cw

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Offsets for cw
From: k5id@ipa.net (Ken Graham)
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 14:54:03 -0500

Hi TT'ers

On the subject of what is displayed for a given cw frequency,  here is a
confusing example:

On the TT Omni C  (and earlier TT rigs) the reading is off by the 750 Hz
value.  It is off in one direction for 40 and 80 meters, and the other
direction on all of the higher bands.  On the TT Delta, the offset reading
was opposite the Omni C for 40 and 80, and the same for the
higher bands.  When I had both of these rigs staring at me on the desk, it
made for lots of confusion when switching back and forth!!
On those occasions when I was conffused, I would have to tune the desired
signal toward zero beat and note the reading...

The reason for the above differences in the two rigs is that on the omni,
the cw offset followed the same rule as the usb/lsb convention, while on the
Delta, cw was always on one side , with sideband selection up to the
operator on ssb.

Currently I have on my desk a Paragon (with offset accounted for in the
display), a Knwd TS940 (with offset accounted for in the display),
a Swan astro 150 (with displayed cw freq 800~ low on all bands), and
two Tritons  -- 2 & 4 (with displayed freq 750 one side 80 and 40, the other
side all higher bands).

Ya just gotta be aware of what you are using  hi hi.

Regards,  Ken  K5ID