[TenTec] RE: Titan amp SWR problem-

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: Titan amp SWR problem-
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (John - G3JAG)
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 23:41:59 +0100 (BST)
Anyone with a weird oscillation  problem in a tube amp might benefit
from reading the stuff by Richard L Measures, AG6K. A couple of his
articles (in QST for Sept and Oct 1990) attracted a great deal of flak.
They were seriously trashed - also in QST - by a number of folk who
might be argued to have an interest in defending their own designs ..

The criticism was published in QST, but Rich Measures was apparently
refused space to rebut the allegations. Full details, including
correspondence with Eimac and ARRL  can be found on his website, which
is:-   www.vcnet.com/measures.

According to Rich Measures, vhf parasitic oscillation is a major and
very much overlooked factor in the self-destruction of expensive
power tubes. (I see it as a form of shock excitation, or "ringing",
because its not necessarily a continuous oscillation).

Very briefly, his solution is to greatly reduce the Q of the parasitic
choke in the plate circuit, by using a bit of relatively lossy wire,
like nichrome. (I used stainless steel piano wire). Its an inexpensive
fix - but please visit the web site.

The web site contains a wealth of info on all aspects of amplifier
design, including the ARRL Handbook chapter on amp design which Rich
Measures was commissioned to write .... (Someone must have thought he
knew his stuff !!)

If your amp is out of warranty and it trashes tubes, then you may be
able to cure it. Unfortunately you may need to buy new tubes before you
can test the fix .. Maybe there is a lot to be said for the good old
811-A after all ??? I had 'em glowing, but I never blew one.

Oh yes; if its a tube amplifier, then please pull the plug and ground
the plate supply before sticking your hands inside.

73  - John G3JAG

E-Mail: John - G3JAG <patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk>