[TenTec] I DID IT

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] I DID IT
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington N4LQ)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 20:21:40 -0500
Thanks to all for the response to my question: "Why should I buy a
Pegasus"?
Here are some clips from the multitude of responses. Based on them, I
called TenTec and
placed my order for the radio and it's remote knob. They say shipping
will be during the
4th week of November. You will be kept informed as the drama unfolds.
Stay tuned.

It has a 30-day free trial??

Why would anyone in their right mind buy a radio that requires a
computer to use.  Not only do you have to worry about the rig breaking
but now you have a chance of a GPF or a hard drive failure not to
mention software bugs and IRQ disfunctions.  I wouldn't buy one if I
was
using your money!

Never, the reflector could not stand the pending abuse down stream
from such
a decision.  You should definitely buy an EICO 753 (Seven Drifty
Three) with
a Collins 28V DC power supply.  It is the only rig for you with your
interests.

You are suffering from cognitive dissonance Steve. The
only cure is to buy the Pegasus. You can then move up
one level on Maslow's Needs Hierarchy. Do the right
thing buy the pagasus!!! Spre yourself any further
suffering.

The digital filters are not as sharp as the analog filters in the Omni
but
the Pegasus RX is still very good. The QSK in the Pegasus is better
than the
Omni. If I can find my microphone maybe I will hook it up this week.
I'm getting rid of my delta 580 and Heathkit radios, keeping the Omni
and the
Pegasus.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with the Pegasus.  The receiver is
exceptional for the price.  It's definitely on a par (in many
respects) with
the Watkins-Johnson HF-1000 receiver that I evaluated for
Communcations
Quarterly in 1995.

:  There is no reason not to buy one Steve.  They have more
features per dollar than any radio made.  Only a fool would not buy
one.  Let
me know how you like it !

Hi Steve-- Order it for the same reason I got my VI+ -- I wanted it.

If I the money I would do it in A second....I wish I could work or
afford one.  Order it I am sure you wont be sorry I have read what
people say about the and  wow. Well if you do not like it you can
always
return it to Ten Tec they do have a return policy  if you do not like
it
within the first 30 days and all you would be out is the shipping I am
pretty sure. if you do get the radio I hope you  really like it.

Stop thinking and order it.  Be done with it.  Get it out of your
system.  If you like it, that's great (I think you will).  If you
don't find it your cup of tea, I'm sure you can sell it easily with
little loss.  Go for it! Have fun!  If you don't do it, you will
always wonder about it.

Cuz you gotta just keep trying 'till T-T comes up with a new rig that
you
actually like!

1.  It's a nice piece of equipment, innovative and built to a nice
price, and it's reverberating throughout the marketplace.

2.  It's upgradable through downloads, so that's nice.

3.  Another rig for you to review, and both point out some defects or
things that don't suit you, and at the same time infuriate those who
think Ten Tec can not make a mistake.

4.  It makes for interesting qso's and people will be interested in
contacting you.

5.  It rationalizes the fact you spent far too much on the computer
you
will use it with, and you will feel very clever for getting such a
fine
computer in the first place.

6.  It's something you could fool with with other modes, PK31, etc.  A
challenge.

7.  It's another thing you could feel free to interact with the techs
at
T-T about, thus getting another dose of that Tennessee accent.

8.  You could maybe evaluate it, and make such a good suggestion that
T-T will incorporate your suggestion in future rigs.

9.  You could write up an evaluation for all the poor contesting.com
slobs who want to be talked into it but would like to stay married,
etc.  They are starved for information on it, it seems, and no amount
of
information will satiate them.

And, the 10th reason,

10.  It would be cool, and you can afford it, you only live once.

Do it so I can hear one on CW!  (They must be on some other band at
some
odd hour of the day!)

To go operate his friends Pegasus, 'cause he didn't get one... <G>

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Hell, why not?

Getting a Pegasus puts you on the leading edge--just like the guys who
had
some of the early ssb rigs in the mid-fifties--they enjoyed the
benefits of
the new technology and so should you. See doesn't that make a
difference.

It's easy Steve, so you can get rid of ur drifting omni-6 with the
really
horriable leading edge  chirp !!

You will hate yourself if you buy one.. They are NO fun, cost a truck
load
of money, and everybody already has one... About the only thing they
will
do is help you get a date... Hmmmm

Ok, so I lied.. big deal...

You know i have listened and read all the questions and answers
to all the questions about the ole Pegasus and you know i think i'd
wait and see what mod.'s TT will come out with in the next 6/12 months
before i bought one. Who knows, like the the OMNI 6 there might be a
Pegasus ll/upgrade version in the mill already. Just food for thought

Hey Steve, I've been thinking of doing the same thing, especially
since I
heard one on cw on 80 about a week ago. The keying was excellent(btr
than
omni 6). Rick, N1RL, had the one they will be reviewing in qst. He
borrowed
it for one night last Tuesday. He says the receiver is ok, some
bleedover
from strong adjacent signals but certainly worth the money. The QSK is
quiet
and works well, as far as I could determine. Go for it- at that price
it may
be hard to beat.

I myself have been stewing over wich of the next Ten Tec rigs to buy
myself.
I've considered the Pegasus also,  but won't bother to buy it untill
the
ARRL puts it through the famous QST lab test. It may turn out to be a
dog,
and then where would you be?
I have contacted Ten Tec and they said not to expect a full review of
it in
QST untill early next year. Although I have seen rumors here that it
could
be reviewed as early as the January 2000 issue (only 2 more issues
away!!!) if
you can wait that long.
All other Ten Tec rigs have been reviewed in QST, so I know where they
stand.
The only thing I don't like about the Pegasus is the fact that it puts
the
computer out of action whenever you go on the air. The ad says you can
surf
the web AND use the rig simultaneously,but can you perform other tasks
like
use word processor, play games, balance the budget, etc. etc. while
your
on the air? This is still the unknown...
Just some food for thought....

you want one don't you, go ahead!

this is a very good radio. I have really enjoyed operating it just
over the
weekend. it has a outstanding receiver. I'm glad I made the jump

If anything, it would add to your collection.  Seriously, I think it
is the
most bang for the buck in a transceiver today.  Just don't look for
Omni
performance tho' . . .

Steve N4LQ