[TenTec] Triton IV Questio

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Triton IV Questio
From: N4NT@wireco.net (Michael O. Hyder)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 22:35:54 -0500
Hi David, et al--

Those Tritons, like all the PTO Ten-Tecs, can have problems with the PTO's
caused by gummy grease.  You will be able to tell if it is a problem when
you tune in a CW signal and it warbles around the frequency.  Then if the
PTO is used a long time after that, some parts in it can become scored or
otherwise worn.

A re-greasing will fix the problem unless the parts are worn.  New parts
come in a $25 kit from Ten-Tec and come with instructions on rebuilding and
for removing the PTO from the rig.  If you think the thing needs
re-greasing, it's enough of a bother to remove the PTO and disassemble it
that it is worth having the new parts on hand just in case you need them.

If yours is an analog model, there is an elastic bungee cord which is part
of the dial cord assembly.  Over the years, those cords lose their
elasticity.  If that is the case, the pointer has trouble making it smoothly
down to the left end of the dial.  It is not necessary to replace the whole
dial cord to fix this problem -- just replace that bungee section with a new
one supplied by Ten-Tec.  The ideal time to do this is if you have the front
panel off the rig while removing and working on your PTO.

The dial skirt of those rigs can be a bother to put back on the shaft.  The
manual shows a piece of sheet metal specially fabricated to do the job.  A
better method was given to me by Steve, N4LQ.  He suggested using a loop of
dental floss to open the D-ring somewhat.  After the skirt is on the shaft,
the floss slips right out.

If you got a matching Ten-Tec power supply, know that those did not come
with a crowbar circuit.  An over-voltage protection circuit board is
available from Ten-Tec to install in the supply.  It costs $18 (including
shipping) and can prevent severe damage to the rig which will occur if the
pass transistor in the supply shorts out.  It would otherwise put about 25
volts into the rig.

And finally -- if it were mine, I'd send it to Ten-Tec for a general
going-over.  This is mainly because they not only align it and set the PA
bias, etc., they also clean and lubricate all the pots and switches.  That
will add years of life to the wonderful little rig you got.

Luck to ye and 73 de Mike N4NT@wireco.net