[TenTec] Signal reporting

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Signal reporting
From: reid.w.simmons@intel.com (Simmons, Reid W)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 12:47:39 -0800
I want an honest signal report from the other person because I want to know
how my equipment and antenna(s) are doing.  If I'm a 228 don't be afraid to
tell me.  If I'm truly sounding like one of the strongest signals on the
band (a 599) let me know that too.  How else can you get an idea of how well
your signal is doing in a particular area?  If I'm giving a report I compare
the subject signal to others on the band and rate it accordingly.  If I
plotted the types of reports I have given versus the quantity of each it
would pretty much be a Gaussian distribution.

I don't rely on an 'S' meter.  I find them to be more of an aesthetics
pleaser than a trusted functional item.  However, I do like what
Watkins-Johnson does and that is to report the strength of the signal at the
antenna input.

I have never been a contester but I always found it curious that on the day
of the contest everyone seems to be using 10KW to a 10 element beam on a 110
foot tower and propagation has achieved perfection.  Why else would everyone
be giving and getting a 599 signal report? :)

Reid, K7YX