[TenTec] Pegasus and a PC question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus and a PC question
From: rlp@ndg.com (Randy Prakken)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 23:07:46 -0800
> You know, it seems strange that something running off  the pokey
> serial port takes so much computer power. Maybe someone can enlighten
> us about this.

I don't have a Pegasus but I do have an RX-320 + lots of software
experience + have written RS-320 software (keyboard control is MUCH
better than mouse control).

I strongly believe that any system which can run a particular version
(any version) of MS Windows will be sufficient.  The TT freq control and
other stuff just doesn't do much.  It really can't do much via a serial
port and a serial port is more than enough for TT control.  If it's slow
for TT software, it's too slow for everything else too.

I know that hams love to "save money" - and I appreciate that - but this
can be taken to extremes.  Lots of companies are throwing away Pentium
133 equipment now.  If someone has a 486/66 system, they should scan the
Internet, read the paper, etc and see the almost free system prices.
They can probably get a much better system for a $100 or so.  New
motherboard + Celeron + memory = approx $200 or so.

Randy
K7ZSB