[TenTec] #253 Auto-Tuner

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] #253 Auto-Tuner
From: heatwole@clark.net (Nat Heatwole)
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 09:18:54 -0500 (EST)
Hello and thanks a lot for reading. I'm considering buying a Ten Tec 253
auto-tuner and am wondering if anyone could help me with any of the
following general questions:

1. Will it handle 1500w (or more) on SSB/CW from 1.8-30 MHz (even during
hours of operation such as in contests)? Will it handle RTTY or tune the
WARC's at full power?

2. What does the internal meter read? Does it read both wattage and SWR?

3. About how long would it typically take to tune a load (assuming the
load is around 2.5/1 starting out)?

4. I've heard that the RAM can only be rewritten over 10,000 times. What
exactly does this mean and how could I replace it if it went bad?

5. What are some common problems associated with this tuner?

6. If you have owned one, what are your likes and dislikes? Any tricks of
the trade or operational suggestions?

7. Is there anyway to build/buy an external control box so that I can
switch between all of the memory channels manually through one switch? Or
can I only have 7 per antenna output?

Please let me know if you can be of any help on any of the above queries.
Thanks a lot and best 73.

Nat Heatwole
KB3CBW in FM19