[TenTec] FS: TT Ultramatic 645

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] FS: TT Ultramatic 645
From: SEWATKINS@dgs.state.va.us (Sherrill WATKINS)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 13:55:25 -0500
Ariel: I tried to reply earlier to your inquiry but I am not sure it made it to
the board so I am trying again.  I seriously question if Packard had the
technical expertise to design and produce an automatic transmission.  I suspect
they were obtaining transmissions from either Chrysler, Ford, GM or Borg Warner
who was puting the Packard "Ultramatic" name on the transmission. For many
years many smaller auto companies would outsource automatic transmissions; a
good example was Royles Royce that used the excellent GM Turbo 400 pickup truck
transmission in their Royles Royce automobiles until GM decided that the
transmission was built to well and would last too long and stopped producing it
in favor of "metric" and other inferior types like the Turbo 200 and 350 types.
 Also,  Jeep's and AMC cars used Chrysler Torquflite transmissions with their
own brand names. I think your question would probably be better addressed and
answered on an antique auto web site; but I am not aware of any. By the way, a
neighbor of mine in the early '50's had a 1940 LaSalle, built by Cadillac and
one of my cousin's had a Kaiser Fraiser with a supercharged Continental six
cylinder engine, from the factory, that would outrun the flathead Ford V-8's
used by the North Carolina Highway Patrol in the early '50's.  I probably
should have not said that!   -73's- Sherrill W. K4OWN.

>>> Ariel Elam <k4aal@jackatak.theporch.com> 11/29 9:38 AM >>>

Hi to the Reflector-- As an aside, does anyone remember when the Packard
automobile had an automatic transmission called "Ultramatic"? (1950-
1956) Or does anyone remember Packard?
Ten-Tec forever!! Ariel, K4AAL