[TenTec] 8 khz wide

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 8 khz wide
From: wc7m@vcn.com (W7CW Jay Ostrem)
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:22:28 +0000
While some clicking is due to "amplifier hot switching" (relays can't keep
up), most is receiver overload.  I had complaints a few times in the past,
but they were from stations that were 30 over off the back of the 3 element
quad I was using. My scope looked OK, turning off the amp didn't help, but
reducing power to 10watts "cleaned it up."  I then advised the complainer
to turn off  his noise blanker, and if things persist to throw in some
attenuation and/or buy a Ten Tec.

I must throw in a comment though, The use of Ten Tec's (Paragon, Omni5, now
Omni 6+) has occasionally hurt my run rates.  I notice that the answer rate
to my CQ's drops, and then find that a squatter has parked within 500 hz of
me, after tuning a little.   I can still work folks due to the excellent
selectivity of the 6+, but the squatter is sitting there deaf waiting for
me to leave.  The general coverage rigs are hearing both of us.  I'm pretty
sure the folks I am working during this situation are also using Ten Tec ;)

73 Jay W7CW

At 03:02 PM 12/14/99 -0000, Steve Baron - KB3MM wrote:

>Yes.  I hear that type of thing on CW.
>
>Certain 4's and 5's can always be heard some distance away....

                              73 Jay W7CW

                                 1AB Ranch
                                 Gillette, Wyoming