Arthur R Bernstein <n2ka@juno.com>: [TenTec] TT 705 Cartridgein headset-

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Arthur R Bernstein <n2ka@juno.com>: [TenTec] TT 705 Cartridgein headset-boom mike??
From: weingaertner@nac.net (Robert Weingaertner)
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 08:31:57 -0500
There are a couple of things that you could do:

1) An FET or bipolar transistor preamp on the mic output will
 bring up the level of the existing mic element.

2) If you want to use an electret element, these are available from
many sources for 1 or 2 dollars. Yes, the DC voltage can be
piggy-backed on the audio line. In fact, most of the electret
mic elements have only 2 terminals, so this is what they do.
The terminal on the mic element that goes to the element case will
connect to shield ground. Inside the mic connector, connect a
1 k resistor between the output line of the mic element and pin 4
of the mic connector. This will bring in the + 4 V to the mic.
Now connect a 1 or 2 microfarad (uf) capacitor from pin 1 of the
mic connector to the junction of the mic output and the resistor.
This brings the audio into the rig. If you use an electrolytic
capacitor, connect the + side to the junction of the mic output
and the 1 k resistor. With an electret element, you will get plenty
of audio. Frequency response may be tailored somewhat by playing
with the value of the capacitor.

                        73, Bob WB2VUF