[TenTec] Omni Noise

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni Noise
From: bigmack@nortexinfo.net (Robert)
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 21:40:58 -0600
IMHO...

While I suppose I understand the purist attitude of wanting everything to
be 100% clean, who really runs their rig with RF gain at zero... As far as
I can tell the low end noise generated in the Omni VI+ is far far far below
most of the competition in anywhere near the same price class... Listening
fatigue is almost zero to me, the VI+ stays tuned in on 10 or 20 mtrs all
day and night, with the audio set to background listening while I work away
right next to it on the PC.

I had a sports car at one time, an extremely quick one, but the wind noise
around the window at high speed (don't ask!) was fairly annoying... One
reader of THAT reflector spotted my complaint and ask me how often I really
pushed the car to above the triple digit mark.. The point hit home,  sort
of like RF gain at zero... Another reader offered me a solution, turn up
the radio and the wind noise will vanish... Guess my point is, if you only
hear it at RF GAIN of zero, is this really a problem??? Maybe somebody has
a solution for RF gain zero noise factor...