[TenTec] Is My Omni-6+ Sick?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Is My Omni-6+ Sick?
From: pito@nera.no (Piotr Tomczak)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:22:57 +0100
Do as Steave mention first.

Another thing is to remove your antenna and use a short wire of about 0.5m
long
as inhouse antenna and check if you hear the same.

On the other hand it is proven that the OMNI VI generates lots of
small level birdies on the higher bands. Specialy on 21, 25 and 28 Mhz.
You will hear them strongest if you move the inhouse
antenna near the front of the Omni...

These birdies are comming out of the logical control board. and with
some effort they can be highly surpress but not totaly removed.
But even a surpress of these birdies by 10-20 db gives another quality
to you receiver.

Best regards
Piotr LA9HFA

At 05:23 PM 2/17/00 -0500, you wrote:

>My (ham) neighbors and I have been working with our local power company to
fight
>a huge increase in Line Noise this past week, which gave me time to listen
more
>closely to my Omni.   I have a 6+ with the INRAD 400 Hz filters in the N-1
and
>'500' positions, respectively. I'm running it off of a 961 power supply ~
>the side of the radio, with a computer monitor on a shelf above it.   The
>antennas are a Force 12 C3-SS off of a roof tower and a wire that goes across
>the lot (the shack is in the basement).
>
>I am wondering if it's working right...I appear not to be hearing lots of
>signals my neighbor (with a wire and TS-850) is hearing, and too, I'm hearing
>all sorts of birdies that sound like beating oscillators, along with what
I can
>only describe as images of other signals (mostly SSB) that seem like
>intermod-type overloading.  There are the typical monitor spurs, but I still
>hear the other stuff when I've turned the monitor and computer off.
>
>My question, admittedly rather naive, is this ...how do I test the rig to
make
>sure it's hearing correctly?
>
>Any help is appreciated!
>
>Thanks + 73,
>
>Eric W3DQ
>Washington, DC
>

>--

   \\\@///
     ·    ·
Piotr Tomczak           Ham call: la9hfa
Nera ASA                   E-mail:    pito@satcom.nera.no