[TenTec] Titan amp

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Titan amp
From: K2ZF@aol.com (K2ZF@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 21:10:57 EDT
Sid K2SX wrote :

> One of the relays is sticking in my Titan Model 425.  When this happens
> the relay(s)(?) stick in transmit. I have no receive signals. If I rap
> the case in the left lower rear corner the relay lets go and I can hear
> again.  The likely culprit would be the vacuum relay.  Once, when very
> stuck, I was able to remove power and actually rap the vacuum relay.
> This fixed the problem for a while. I spend most of my time on 160 using
> separate RX antennas so I forgot about this problem. I just got an
> FT-1000MP [ had an FT-920] and I was enjoying the pleasures of  a new
> rig and QSK when it stuck and reminded me of the problem. Anyone have
> this or a similar experience?
> My Titan's serial number is 425-01086.
> 73, Sid K3SX

I purchased a Hercules 2 from the Ten Tec used department. Took the amp out
of the box, did not hook up power to the amp, just hooked up the coaxial
cables from the Omni 6 to the amp and the rx was dead. Turned out to be a bad
vaccum relay, boy, to get a bad relay off the bat like that was disheartening
to say the least. Returned the amp and purchased a new amp off the shelf and
the relay on the new amp stuck a few times already. As previously stated,
other people have suggested reversing the leads to the relay coil may help, I
have been lucky, the relay came back to normal after cycling the amp on and
off a few quick times.
Good luck Sid de K2ZF (Jim)