[TenTec] Elecraft K2 vs. Ten- Tec

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Elecraft K2 vs. Ten- Tec
From: drasmussen@eosintl.com (Don Rasmussen)
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 11:31:17 -0700
Hi Guys,

My original reason for trying the OMNI 6+ (I later bought one) was partially
because I liked my K2 so much. If you like CW and enjoy your OMNI 6+, you
*have* to enjoy the K2.  8-)

That having been said, comparing the K2 to the OMNI is even more "apples to
oranges" than comparing the 1000MP, 1000D, 775DSP, etc. to the OMNI. The
pure receiver is there on both and they are both excellent US designs, but
everything else, including the kit nature of the K2 makes them very
different.

There have those that have built their primary operating position around
what is essentially a "phenominal" camping radio. But most guys will keep
their primary rigs - be they whatever. (W. Allen).

73,
de WB8YQJ/6

Maybe in raw receiver performance the K2 approaches the VI or VI+ (and
kudo's to them for that).  But does the K2 do FSK?
How about FM (not that the VI's is that great)?
Fast/Slow QSK including switching loop for QSK amp?
Separate RX antenna for beverages?
Notch?

<snip>