[TenTec] Which Amp for RTTY

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Which Amp for RTTY
From: rbdrake@erols.com (Richard B Drake)
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 17:51:55 -0400
Eric,

I have the VI+ and Herc II, I also operate both PSK31 and RTTY
though my RTTY activity has been reduced to contests since getting
on PSK31. The Herc II will do full output 500 watts on PSK31 with
no distortion and according to the specs it will do 550 watts key
down for 15 minutes. I don't know how long winded you are but I
don't have enough to say to talk for 15 minutes without an over -
Hi. But, for the most part you don't need that much power on PSK31
and I rarely ever run it over 150 watts.

I have goofed on it a couple of times too. Used the wrong antenna
and even made a couple of contacts on 17 using my 20 meter antenna
before I noticed it. SWR was up over 3:1 but it didn't seem to
care. I also accidentally went key down a couple of times while
the Omni was pumping out 100 watts. The protective circuitry in
the Her II worked, the overdrive light came on and it latched up
into straight through operation. But, just correct the situation,
cycle the power switch on the Herc II as the manual says and all
is well again. As I have mentioned before if you have matched
antennas on each band, the instant no tune band switching is
fabulous and if that is important to you it's worth the few extra
bucks.

So, I have probably just added to your confusion, Centaur or Her
II. I'm sure you won't go wrong either way but it was the instant
band switching that tipped the balance for me.

---
73, Rich - W3ZJ