[TenTec] S-meter on Corsair II question?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] S-meter on Corsair II question?
From: k4cgy_list@yahoo.com (James C. Owen, III)
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:29:42 -0700 (PDT)
--- "Avila, Edward" <EAvila@caiso.com> wrote:

> Just purchased first Corsair II -- on bands above 17 meters,
> the S-meter
> never moves unless signal is really really strong. I was
> wondering if this
> is "normal" or an indication that I have a sensitivity problem
> in the
> receiver? S-meter action appears more "normal" on 20 meters and
> lower.

No this is not normal. The S meter on the Corsair II is VERY
sensitive. Mine, with no antenna connected shows S1 with no
antenna connected,with  almost any antenna connected shows about
S4 from the band noise. I checked it with my Model 82 Signal
generator and can hear a signal less than .1 uv, S-meter starts
moving at 1 uv  S2 about 2 uv and S9 is 50 uv. There is a switch
on the back that selects an external receive antenna. This switch
is often intermittent, switch it a time or two and see if the
signals come up. I have jumpered this switch out on my Corsair
but De-0x cures it for a few months.

                    73 Jim K4CGY