[TenTec] Thanks

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Thanks
From: SteveBaron@starlinx.com (Steve Baron - KB3MM)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 03:06:52 -0000
I do not have a VI manual handy, but think it is pretty close to the V if I
remember correctly.

Functionally, you need TX (transmit data) at one end of the wire connected
to RX (receive data) at the other end of the wire.

The Ten Tec manual shows the connection for two DB-25 connectors and you are
correct that pin2 goes to pin3 - as it would also do if there were two DB-0
connectors.

HOWEVER, if you have one DB-9 and one DB-25, you want 2 to 2 and 3 to 3.
Pin 2 on the DB-25 is TX but pin 3 on the DB-9 is TX.  THEY ARE REVERSED !

Ten Tec also tends to show internal jumpers at the computer end of the cable
depending on the software in the PC.   Several rograms only need TX, RX, and
ground.

A standard serial cable IS not desirable.  The OMNI's have other signals
(e.g. band info) assigned to pins on the DB-25 end and a fully wired cable
would put some RS-232 signals on those pins.

Hope that helps.