[TenTec] Pegasus vs Omni

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus vs Omni
From: cherry@neta.com (Jim FitzSimons)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 06:28:18 -0700
I like my Pegasus. As an engineer who designs this kind of stuff
I expect the DSP in the Pegasus to have a background "hiss".
If Ten Tec used more complex and more expensive DSP circuit
then this "hiss" would be reduced of moved to a higher frequency.
The finial IF frequency of the Pegasus is 12 kHz which can be heard.
As the high speed DSP becomes less costly Ten Tec may switch
to using it. One of the things we like about Ten Tec is they give
high performance for a reasonable price. They are slow to use new
unproven things. The test equipment I build is different. It needs to use
the state of the art components to stay ahead of the compitition.
In my lastest product there is a 120 MHz DDS that became available
during the development of the product. We had to change the design
in the middle of the product development. Ten Tec does not have to
move that fast to produce a good product. I designed a test meter
in 1977 that my company still sells.
I like my Pegasus. It does better than I would expect for its price.
I am glad there are other happy users of the Pegasus like Fred.
Best regards, Jim FitzSimons W7ANF