[TenTec] Pegasus Info

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus Info
From: aa4nn@juno.com (Joe L Blackwell)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 16:40:26 -0400
 <bwilkinson@glasgow-ky.com> wrote
> I would like to hear from those who have a Pegasus

Hi Tate, de Joe, aa4nn

I've had the Pegasus almost a year now, don't use it too much
since I have the Omni VI+.  I was freaked out with the ability to
receive Broadcast stations...  I haven't DXed BC stations in years.
My beverage antennas surely help in this regard.  The ability to
save frequencies by name is a great help, even with Ham Bands.
Built-in filters are functional, but not exceptional.  For example,
the tightest filter is 300Hz which sounds wide to my CW ears.
The Passband Tuning is exceptional.

I run the Pegasus off of COM2 on this 166mHz Pentium II.  No
problems.  Any COM port will work, of course.  I don't work SSB,
so no comment.  I have a setup here where I can switch any one
of four radios into my antenna system.  Pegasus being one of
them.  No tuner here, antennas resonate in the CW subband.
I have the Pegasus on a shelf underneath my operating desk,
since once it's hooked up there's no point in looking at it.  All the
goodies are on the computer monitor.  I power the Pegasus from
a 13.2 volt, 25 amp supply called Tripp Lite PR-25.

A few months back, Ten-Tec published a software upgrade for
the Pegasus.  I downloaded it and ran the install with absolutely
no problems.

I would highly recommend the remote encoder, Tate.  Tuning with
the mouse or keyboard works great, but when and if you have
something else displayed on your desktop while listening to the Peg,
the encoder works wonders.

I have no idea the price of Ten-Tec's Jupiter.  It is essentially the
Pegasus with its own front panel... no computer needed.  Either
radio would be your decision, but do decide on one or the other,
you will not be disappointed.

73, de Joe  aa4nn
Ten-Tec only, CW only.
eeetet   ee