[TenTec] Phones for the Scout/Argo

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Phones for the Scout/Argo
From: w8keb@1st.net (Ken & LInda Burrough)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:08:36 -0400
Hi All

In the past days there have been some questions about headphones for the
Scout.  I have an Argo 556 I use mainly for QRP Contests and  not had very
good luck with headphones.  In the past three years I have tried three
different type of phones and have had all quite, sometimes in the middle of
a contest.

For the last week I have been checking out the ARGO for the upcoming contest
season and found the MFJ phones, what did work well and sounded good,
developed an open in the long wire from the plug to the phones.  Replaced
the jack two times and still had the open--the round file was then used.

Yesterday afternoon I was in my local RadioShack store talking about
headphones when they said a new (?) pair just arrived.  Catalog number
33-1176, Full-Size Closed-Cup Stereo Headphones.  The specs looked good so I
bought a pair at $19.95.

Here are the specs:

Independent Volume Controls
20-20,000Hz frequency response
Impedance:  32 ohms
98dB 1 1/2" ferrite speakers
Gold-plated 1/4" stereo phone jack
10 foot coiled cord

Tried them last night on 40 meters and they seem great.  The Scout/Argo low
volume noise can be adjusted out by setting the volume controls at 12
o'clock.  They have good tone but time will tell how long they last.

I hope this helps and in the mean time back to The Buzzard Roost.

W8KEB
KENNETH E. BURROUGH---(KEN)
Ex:  NE0C--KC0WN--N6EVC--KA2HJY
USAF Ret