[TenTec] Intermittent Power out, Corsair II

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Intermittent Power out, Corsair II
From: KF6ZZ@aol.com (KF6ZZ@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 18:46:53 EDT
Hey Jim ---

  Perhaps a can of freeze spray would
 be useful to modulate the failure mode ....

 I have found that thermal shock is a most efficient method for isolating bad
connections, cold solder joints, and marginal components.

At $8 a can , it's a lot cheaper than shipping your CII five thousand miles.

Good luck,
73,     - Phil   KF6ZZ

p.s. >>>>  I have always been under-impressed with the chinsy power
connectors TT ( and everyone else ! ) puts on their HF radios.  The famous
Cannon 'D' connectors so common in the computer world are good for 5 amps per
pin and would be a vast improvement over the existing power connectors.
These days the 'D' connectors are dirt cheap too !
less than a buck each !
(  Coupla years back I stopped in at HRO to pick up an extra power cord for
my TS-430 and they wanted $35 !!!! for 6 feet of wire and a plastic plug !!! )

  A 9 pin or 15 pin power 'D' connector would have lower resistance and hence
lower voltage drop across the connection.

  One of these days I am gonna retrofit all my HF gear with homebrew
D-connector power cords.