[TenTec] 253 Auto Tuner Mods?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 253 Auto Tuner Mods?
From: ve7asr@islandnet.com (Rick Williams)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:18:54 -0700
First let me state up front that I love my Model 253 Automatic Antenna
Coupler!  It does have an idiosyncrasy that bugs me.

If I leave the power to the 253 on it remembers where it was when my Omni V
was turned off.  However, if I remove the power or otherwise turn off the
253 it seems to be partially brain dead on power-up.

When the power is applied I must either go to another band or antenna and
then back to the original band or antenna for it to establish the correct
settings.  This suggests to me that the non-volatile RAM (U8 the X240MP)
still has life but something else is happening.  (It seems that the relays
that select the appropriate capacitors must somehow be reset and this does
not happen automatically on power-up for some reason?)

In conversations with others, I feel that the "problem" I have described is
common to most if not all T-T 253 couplers.  Is anyone aware of any mods
(factory or otherwise) that might eliminate this inconvenience?

Thanks,

73, Rick
VE7ASR