[TenTec] Confusing Corsair tricks

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Confusing Corsair tricks
From: pcuellar@bright.net (Phil Cuellar)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 17:46:02 -0400
HI all,

I returned from the Ten Tec hamfest with a 263 Remote VFO for my Corsair 1,
and another Corsair 1 and p/s for the local club.

I attached the 263 to my Corsair, and everything works fine except on 20
meters. When switched to VFO "A" (internal), the frequency readout is
correct above 14162 kHz., but when decreasing in frequency below 14162 the
digits rapidly climb to 19288 then gradually decrease as the PTO is turned
counter-clockwise, or down in frequency. The readout decreases to 18943.0 at
the lower end of PTO travel. The "B" frequency display appears to be correct
across the band.
I tuned to a strong CW signal with the "B" VFO at 14021.6 and matched the
signal with the "A" VFO. Readout for the "A" VFO was 19043.2 kHz. I then
tuned the "B" VFO to 14070.0, and used SPECTROGRAM to match the PSK-31 peaks
on the "A" VFO. Readout on "A" was 19140.0 kHz. Doing the math shows that
"A" is reading actual VFO frequency + 5 MHz +  the last three display
digits. (14021.6 + 5000.0 + 21.6 = 19043.2) and (14070.0 + 5000.0 + 70.0 =
19140.0)
I then attached the remote VFO to the Corsair that was purchased for the
local club. All readouts on all bands are correct, so the problem is in my
Corsair, not the remote VFO. (No, I'm not gonna swap the Corsairs, so just
forget that idea!)
I'm at a total loss as to where to look from here. Any Ideas?

Also, I have no manual for the remote VFO, so if anybody could scan one and
e-mail it to me direct, or copy one and snail-mail it to me, I would be most
grateful. If you let me know the cost of copy/scan/mail, I will gladly
reimburse you.

Last but certainly not least, the folks at Ten Tec were great this past
weekend. They were all busy as heck, but not too busy to say hello and chat
a bit. My hat is off to each and every one of them. They really went out of
their way to make all of us feel welcome. If you didn't make it this year,
try to make it next year, it's worth the trip.

73 de KI8JQ - Phil
pcuellar@bright.net