[TenTec] 'Virtual' serial port

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 'Virtual' serial port
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:53:26 -0400
This is really a programming question, but since it relates to my new
Pegasus, I'll ask here also:

I'm looking for the abilility to create a 'virtual' serial port:

1) I'd like to be able to leave my Pegasus attached to a serial port on a
machine on my network (running Windows 98) and run the control program on
another machine (running Windows NT 4 Workstation). The virtual serial port
on the NT Workstation would redirect the control commands over the network
to the 98 machine where some additional software would actually send the
commands over the serial port to the Peg.  Windows NT Back Office Server
currently lets me do something similar, but only with the NT Server machine
as the serial port server.

2) I'd like to intercept RTS / DTR control signals designed to control
transceiver PTT from communications sofware (i.e. for PSK, RTTY, SSTV, etc).
and instead of using a real serial port controls send commands (probably vie
OLE) to some modified Pegasus control software which would then put the
radio into TX. That way I could save a serial port, and I wouldn't have to
modify each piece of 'legacy' software that expects a 'dumb' radio at the
end of a serial port.

Mark