[TenTec] Re: [TEN-TEC] Morse Code in the 24th Century!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [TEN-TEC] Morse Code in the 24th Century!
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:56:48 -0500
I'm curious . . .

Why would a "clandestine" CW station with evidently a lot of power
behind it transmit at such a comparatively slow speed?

I would expect them to be transmitting at not less than 100 wpm and
probably faster.

The thing that really gets me, though, is why they would use Morse at
all. (don't shoot - I am a bible-thunping member of QRP-L and an eager
and occasionally successful Fox Hunter!) I would think that high-speed
RTTY would move the traffic much faster.

So, the only conclusion that I can draw is that the slow Morse is being
transmitted for human reception and decoding.

Now, that opens the door for a lot of speculation, doesn't it?

Interesting stuff . . .

72/73, George   W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas      NETXQRP 6
Fairview, TX   30 mi NE Dallas in Collin county      QRP-L 1373
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 55th year and it just keeps getting better!
Icom IC-756 PRO #02121 (9/00) Kachina #91900556 (12/99) IC-765 (6/90)