[TenTec] Fence Charger Pulses

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Fence Charger Pulses
From: wb0cff@hotmail.com (Carl R. Gansen)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 05:31:07 GMT
As another farm kid, I have to agree with Walt's earlier assertion.
My experience with electric fencers is that when the fence is in good
condition they are very quiet.  We always have had the "weed burner"
variety (that's not a 60's pot reference either!).  This simply means
they have a more ambitious current rating on their High Voltage pulse
transformer and to some extent could burn weed tips away as weeds grew
closer. It is pulsed for cutting duty cycle and enabling you to let
go should you touch it.

The unit is grounded on one side of the pulse transformer and the
side goes to the fence.  At anytime, anywhere along the fence
you have the opportunity to close the circuit by standing on the
ground and touching the wire.  It takes little current to feel a
jolt.  VERY LITTLE CURRENT flows under normal conditions and a lot
of connections can get quite poor with little loss because of the
low current.  If you are hearing the fence then there is a path to
ground some place.  It may be a bad insulator, weed, tree branch, or
every now and then a rather dead bird that sat on the wire and
scratched its head against the steel post.  If you are alert and
walk the fence you will eventually find the conductive path and
once cleared the interference is gone.  Take it from somebody who
has walked many fence miles.

Carl R. Gansen  WB0CFF
9300 W 225 St
Belle Plaine, Mn. 56011-4206