[TenTec] Argosy price (Argosy vs Scout)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argosy price (Argosy vs Scout)
From: jakecart@ix.netcom.com (John L. "Jake" Carter)
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 09:20:08 -0500
I recent bought an older Argosy -- the analog type -- off of eBay for a
little over $200.  It has the Embedded Research audio filter.  It has
the usual wear marks and scratches that an older rig has, but it works
fine.  Only took a couple minutes with the rig to work a few DX stations
in this weekend's 10m contest.  I use one of my Embedded Research "TiCK
Keyers" to key the Argosy.

I also own a Scout -- another good rig.  Smaller that the Argosy but, as
we all know, requires plugging in the band modules.  My Scout has the
nice digital readout, good filtering, internal keyer -- I like it too.
But I paid a lot more for my Scout and band modules (bought them new)
than the old Argosy.

I haven't tried running either rig off a battery.  I use my little
homebrew rigs for that -- last week I worked Namibia with my Small
Wonder Labs GM-10 running 800 milliwatts to my attic dipole.  I guess
V51AS has a pretty good receive antenna.  :-)

73,

Jake -- N4UY
Vienna, VA
(Wash DC suburbs)