[TenTec] Ten-Tec newbie. Help needed, Argosy shopping.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten-Tec newbie. Help needed, Argosy shopping.
From: w7trx@mindspring.com (W7TRX)
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 12:32:06 -0800
Greetings,

After receiving positive input regarding the Ten-Tec Argosy II as a portable
radio, I'm considering doing a little shopping. I need some additional
information so I can make an educated decision regarding, condition,
options, accessories and price. I would really like to get one with all the
helpful options together, than begin an endless hunt for parts. I plan on
exclusive SSB use on battery power.

I am grateful for the earlier input I received and appreciate any answers
that can be provided. Happy Holidays {:-)

73, Tracy
W7TRX

************
In the ARRL book "Low Power Communication", it discusses the Argosy II. It
makes mention of 4 revisions of the internal circuitry. What are these
revisions? Are any of these to be avoided or sought after? Can the revisions
be determined by serial number?

There is a mention of some modifications that improve receiver performance,
with no details. Any info on this?

Any other modifications that should be looked for or avoided?

It recommends the active audio filter option. Any comments?

It discusses a choice of several IF crystal filters with no details. Any
info on this?

It discusses the worthwhile addition of a T-kit speech processor for SSB. I
plan to use exclusively SSB. Any input on this option?

I have seen some sold with a crystal calibrator. What is this? Is this a
necessary option?

Any other helpful information to assist with getting a good one?

With some assistance from helpful hams I have the following information.
This can be commented on, or just left as helpful information for other
Ten-Tec newbies.

The 8 pole SSB filter (model 220) is a worthwhile replacement for the stock
4-pole filter.

If you are going to use the Argosy on Battery power you must use the Ten-Tec
model 1125 magnetic circuit breaker (available from Air Pax). Is a standard
fused cable not appropriate?