[TenTec] Re: ALC (again)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: ALC (again)
From: ac5aa@juno.com (Duane A Calvin)
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 10:15:44 -0600
Guys, ALC is used to limit the drive to the final amp inside the rig as
well, and regarding the original question, I'm not sure how to check to
see if it's working correctly.  If you have a monitor receiver, or a
friend in town, you could adjust the Mic gain as described in the owners
manual and make sure that there is no distortion on your signal when the
ALC LED just begins to flicker on voice peaks.  Do this without the
speech processor engaged.  If you have an accurate peak reading watt
meter, it should indicate close to 100W output (to a dummy load - SWR
less than 1.5:1) on peaks.  If these check out OK, then probably your ALC
is working correctly within the rig.  If you're talking about driving an
amp, in general, an ALC connection to the amp is not needed on current
rigs.  (I'm not positive on this last statement, but believe it is
correct if you tune and load the linear properly.)

        73, Duane

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000 09:33:20 -0600 "jcox" <jcox@digitalexp.com> writes:

> You only need ALC from the tranceiver to the amp if you need to
> limit the
> driving power.  This is accomplished on the Ten Tec tranceivers by
> reducing
> the rf power output which has been a feature for years.
> All of the modern radios have rf power control, which can be used to
> limit
> output power.  This method is superior to using a ALC input.
> Jim K4JAF

Duane A. Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas
ac5aa@juno.com -or- ac5aa@earthlink.net