[TenTec] Dead Omni VI+ Part II

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Dead Omni VI+ Part II
From: K5XS@aol.com (K5XS@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 09:32:33 EST
Fellow Ten Tec'ites,
  Thanks for all the replies regarding my dead Omni VI+.  Again, only about a
half watt output on all bands (teeny bit more on 15 and 10, but that might be
my watt meter's non-linearity.)
   I have noticed that If I put the rig in TUNE mode and rotate the PWR
potentiometer, the ALC LED stays on only from the starting point (about 7
o'cock) to about 9 o'clock.  Interestingly, that's the point the power
flattens out (about 0.5 watts).  Leads me to suspect something in the ALC
circuit.
  More, if I key the rig (with the PTT button) with the rig in USB or LSB
mode, with the PWR pot. between 7 and 9 o'clock, the ALC LED coes on steady,
and voice peaks have no effect on it.  And once I advance the PWR past 9
o'clock, no amount of modulation makes the ALC LED even flicker (it doesn't
come on at all).
   I'm suspecting ALC problems...Would appreciate any other thoughts.
  Happy 2001 to all of you.
  Bernie K5XS