[TenTec] Station Grounding

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Station Grounding
From: Ken & Linda Burrough" <w8keb@1st.net (Ken & Linda Burrough)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:24:19 -0500
Hi All

Ken/W7TS

>>>I have installed three eight foot ground rods a couple feet apart right
out
side the shack.  I have installed a Number 2 copper wire from the ground
rods to the antenna tuner ground screw.  I now intent to connect each of the
pieces of equipment to the tuner ground screw with a separate copper strap.

Ken that should work with two changes.  If you can make the NR 2 copper wire
bigger and install a longer grounding screw on the 238.  The grounding screw
from Ten-Tec is short and intended for one grounding wire.  Also use an star
washer and locking nut at the 238 and then an flat washer on top of the nut,
then the grounding straps.  Last is an flat washer and nut, not a wing nut
but a good nut that can be tightened.

Here is how my station ground is set up.  My Operating position/Computer
station is ten foot long, I use a 10 foot piece of copper water pipe
insulated from the wall.  Each piece of station or computer equipment that
need grounded I use copper strap from the grounding lug to the copper
grounding buss.  I use SS hose clamps to connect the grounding strap to the
buss.  From the grounding buss I use large copper strap to the insulated
wall feed through.  Outside the house I use double "O" stranded copper with
a lug silver soldiered to one end.  This is attached to the wall feed
through, the other end goes to my electric service ground rod.  I am using
the power company grounding grid for my station ground.  I never have RF
feed back in the shack.

Good luck.

Ken/w8keb
Flushing, Ohio