[TenTec] TT Titan and other TT QSK amp issues

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TT Titan and other TT QSK amp issues
From: aa4nn@juno.com (Joe L Blackwell)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 13:17:03 -0500
An interesting idea, indeed.  My Titan is over ten years old, been
heavy contesting the last eight years at speeds well above 34.
It just keeps on going.  I never gave it a thought, but maybe it's
time to start babying the vacuum relay, which by the way, is not
noisy at all.  Maybe I'm just lucky.
I'd be interested in your final circuit design and how it worked.
73, de Joe Blackwell, aa4nn

agtaylor@llnl.gov writes:

> I have had a TT Titan amp for about 4 years now and find it to be a
> solid reliable amp with great QSK. Of late I have been doing more
> contesting than previously and find that I fear for the vacuum relay
> when used at 35+/- wpm in an extended contesting situation. I have
> devised a simple scheme that would allow the PTT output from my
> logging program (TRLog / 486 PC) to key the amp on rather than
> follow
> the actual transmitted signal, etc. In that way, an outgoing CQ
> (and there tend to be plenty of them) , through which one is not
> really likely to listen anyway, is not going to add to the wear/tear
> on
> the vacuum relay. It is not in final form: basically I have worked
> out suitable logic for my particular needs and operating
> environment.
> The vacuum relays aren't noiseless either, so quieting the shack
> while operating is also an issue.
>
> The question for this reflector is this. Has this sort of thing been
> done before? If so I could, perhaps, benefit from their work.
>
> K7GT  Allan
>

> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/tentec

73, de Joe Blackwell, aa4nn