[TenTec] Model 242 remote VFO

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Model 242 remote VFO
From: jessystems@waypt.com (Peter G. Juliano)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:09:54 -0800
Hi Ten Tec Users,

I have a question about the Model 242 Remote VFO which matches the Triton IV
(Model 544). (This has nothing to do with resonant or anti-resonant
antennas, lightning protection, Johnson Match Box Tuners or station
grounding--it actually has something to do with Ten Tec gear!)

I recently bought a Model 242 remote VFO off of ebay--yeah I know about all
of the problems with buying stuff from the auctions. Well it looks like this
one might actually be OK. BUT, here is the question--some one went into the
cable harness at the socket end on the rear panel and took the lead which
normally would be connected to pin 2 on the socket and brought that out to
an RCA jack. Normally DC voltage would be supplied from the Triton IV via
the cable harness to pin 2.

There are some notes with the documentation about supplying REGULATED 12
volts to the model 242--that being the reason for the mod. Here is the
question-( for any one out there who would like to discuss something other
than antennas)-- anybody out there have any folklore about power problems
with the Triton IV supplying juice to the Model 242. Someone went to a lot
of trouble to make this mod--so there had to be a reason. To return it to
it's original state is fairly simple--just want to ask before doing it?

Thanks in advance.

Pete W6JFR