[TenTec] Some thoughts- The Other side of the Coin

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Some thoughts- The Other side of the Coin
From: wa2tti@worldlynx.net (Jerry Harley)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:03:16 -0500
Well, Here is the other side of the coin.  First; My Jupiter is from the
first run (4 Dec arrival) I also own a IC746.

I don't really don't need an explanation of how to operate a NB Noise
Blanker ( on/off and 7 setting).  Nor do I need instruction on the
Speech Processor ( 0 - 100% ).  After a few Q's and help from the users
group I arrived at 75-80% for the best setting. The fact you can use the
monitor function with ease, has it set to 70%+ in a matter of seconds.
I did operate the 10-10 contest at 100% and 5 watts output no problems.
EI9GQ did tell me yesterday that the 100% setting made me sound like an
Italian CBer.

I have to agree the band up/down buttons would be nice, but I'll go it
one better.  I would like to see a full keypad - bands and direct
frequency entry also a dual PBT like the IC746.

No tuner, no problem, I use the LDG MP11 AT.  I like it outboard, as I
have 5 stations that use it. ( Triton II, Triton IV, 509, IC746 )

I have not experienced all the computer problems referred too, must be
RF (grounding grounding grounding).  I believe that I have reset only
three times since Dec for weird problems, and these may have been bugs
the TT has solved.

I love the ease in operation of all the functions of the Jupiter.  Just
the other day I was explaining the difference in the spectrum display of
the IC, but I stumbled in the key strokes necessary to get it to
operate.  While we are here; the TT is 3 times better at displaying the
signals.

I said two months ago that I would compare the two radios; well the
Jupiter wins for me, but if you need 6m and 2m and a tuner then the Icom
wins.

This is how I look at it; If you need everything in one small box for
the car, then the Yaesu FT100 wins (it is in my van).  In the house, I
need a HF rig running, a 2m rig running, and maybe a 6m running.  I need
more than 1 radio with good filtering and audio easy on my ears.  The
Jupiter  is the best general purpose ham radio I have ever owned.  If
you want contesting or super CW, or, or, or, then there are other better
choices at double the price and then some.  Jerry