[TenTec] Scout Question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout Question
From: James \(Jim\) Parsons" <k5rov@arrl.net (James (Jim) Parsons)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 19:38:51 -0600
I had three of the Scouts. One was bought new from TT and was returned
before 30 days. One was bought used from TT and was returned in ten days.
One was bought used and then sold.

All three of them drifted badly when used at 30-40 WPM in rag chews. My
friends would set their selectivity pretty tight on a crowded band  and I
would drift right out of their passband. This happened with all three
Scouts. I did not have problems on SSB nor did I have problems at QRS.

I DO NOT recommend the Scout for high speed CW. But, in its defense it is a
fine little rig for SSB, and CW at the slower speeds and it has a very quiet
receiver. But I will never own another. I got quite a reputation for
drifting while I was using it. TT acknowledged that it did happen but told
me to pause often. As a CW rag chewer I did not want to do that.

73 de Jim, K5ROV...
James (Jim) Parsons, K5ROV,   CMSgt, USAF, Ret.,   Ham for 60 yrs.
k5rov@arrl.net,     QCWA, ARCI, Fists, ARRL, ARMS.
EX: W1RLA, K5FBB, K4FEO, SV0WN (CRETE), SV0WN (RHODES),
DL4NC, DL4JP, KA2FC (JAPAN), KA2JP (JAPAN).
JOHN 3:16