[TenTec] Scout experiences ; OmniVI ssb rx audio mod (INRAD)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout experiences ; OmniVI ssb rx audio mod (INRAD)
From: agtaylor@llnl.gov (agtaylor@llnl.gov)
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 14:21:57 -0800 (PST)
A recent thread mentioned the TT Scout and its frequency hopping
problem. I know what they sound like and, like it or not, they
ALL jump a bit at keying speeds above about 16 or 18 wpm, internal
or external keying. The jumps aren't very much, perhaps 20 - 50 Hz,
but anyone who isn't completely tone deaf should be able to at least
detect this shift. They do tend to cycle back to the original point,
eventually. That is, they don't jump up and up and up ... the band!
I can listen to a rig (and have done this many times), saying to myself
"That sounds like a Scout", I ask and, sure enough, it is. To their
credit, their CW note is superb (credit where credit is due!).Nice to
listen to other than the jumping thing.  In fact, they have a more
stable frequency (other than the jumping) than any other Tentec
rig! The only rig I can think of by any manufacturer that has a sweeter
sound (CW of course) is the new Elecraft K1. It is superb. I need
to listen to my modified OmniVI (see INRAD comments below) and check
its keying to see if it is nearing that good.

My Scout (and Argo 556 for that matter) had a very touchy main tuning
knob. Also, the internal keyer speed control is less than convenient to
use, being paired with the RIT control. Griping over. They are a nice
little rig but not perfect by any means. I sold both rigs and got an
ICOM IC706/II and am better off for it. It serves as the backup rig on
the station console. I am always anxious to get back to the OmniVI, of
course, but the 706 is a respectable little rig. QSK not up to TT
standards, but not too bad.

Re the W2VJN / INRAD OmniVI ssb rx mod. I just got mine a few days
ago and plan to put it in soon. It is very simple, being just a few
capacitors. In fact, it really ought to be in a QST Hints and Kinks,
but I cannot really fault George for getting some income from his
intellectual property either. After I do my mod, I would be glad to
sell the remaining parts and instructions to someone who has an OmniVI+
(rather than the OmniVI upgrade / 3). I will holler here when that time
comes about. BTW: I have the 2.8 kHz filter in the rig as suggested some
time back by W9AC to improve the keying (slight chirp or whoop in the
OmniVI). I have no plans, though, to replace the other filter (that one
in the 6.3 MHz if). If I ever get more than casual about ssb
contesting, I will likely swap the stock filter back in for the
duration. The actual filter swap is about 5 minutes to pull
off the bottom panel and cover plates. It takes about twice that to
disconnect and then reconnect the cabling on the back of the rig!

I also have the narrow 9.0 MHz (400 Hz) filter that INRAD makes. It is
very nice. It isn't too annoying to listen to in contests although I
seldom use it in normal operating. My personal choice for filters
for the OmniVI would be the stock (Tentec) filters for both 1.8 kHz
slots and the 500 Hz slot and then the narow INRAD filters for the
narrowest positions (400 Hz at 9.0 and 250 at 6.3) as well as the
2.8 kHz filter for the ssb generator.

Also BTW: I find the low pass filter on the upgraded OmniVI / 3 not
very useful at all. The NR DSP, of course, is WONDERFUL and I never
operate without it turned on.

As a well-known recluse from NV says...
         now back into my hole...

73 all   K7GT  Allan