[TenTec] Apples and Oranges?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Apples and Oranges?
From: tjednacz@ieee.org (Thomas C. Jednacz)
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:29:38 -0500

> To: TenTec@contesting.com
> Subject: [TenTec] Apples and Oranges?
>

> Has anyone in the group had a Jupiter next to an Omni 6+ on the same bench
> at the same time doing a A/B during a big contest?

I did this with a Pegasus and an Omni VI+ during both CW and Phone contests
on 40 meters. The 300 Hz filter in the Pegasus has reasonable skirts and no
blow by. Front end overload is not as good as the Omni but when I used the
attenuator it cleaned up very nicely. The Omni VI+ with cascaded 250 Hz
filters is better but not an order of magnitude better. I liked the Pegasus
better on Phone - even on 40 meters during the DX contest. Used the
attenuator again and it compared nicely to the Omni VI+.

Horror of horrors I compared the Icom 756 PRO to the Omni VI+ and the
Pegasus and the filters in the PRO are superior. The PRO can go to 50 Hz
filter with 100 Hz skirts - just amazing. CW and Phone are superior on the
PRO. I think the PRO designers learned from the Pegasus design and then used
a much faster 32 bit processor to get the dramatic results.

73,

Tom, W7QF