[TenTec] Pegasus Suggestions/Speaker options

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus Suggestions/Speaker options
From: kb2sgm@home.com (Bob Marsh)
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:16:11 -0400
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here.  I've been a fan of Ten tec gear for a while
now, and just recently bought a Pegasus as my main station rig.  I also have
an Argosy (running QRP), and built the 1208 20/6M transverter.  I like to
operate primarily QRP/CW.

I really enjoy this Pegasus.  I also have the Remote "Pod" and the desk
mike, with everything controlled by a cheapo Compaq P90 color laptop and
Win95.  Even the built in speaker didn't sound all that bad, but...

I wanted to install external speakers, since I usually run two (on the left
and right) for HF operating.  I've found that for me, this arrangement gives
me the best intelligibility of the received signal.

I first tried plugging in the speakers I use with the Argosy, but the gain
was way too low. (The Argosy has plenty of power to drive them through the
headphone jack.  My solution was to purchase a set of Radio Shack powered
computer speakers.  I made sure that there was some sort of "tone" control
built in to the speakers.  The model AMX-15 (40-1409 ~ $40-$50) works great.

These speakers require either a gazillion (8, actually) C cells or a 12VDC
power source.  I simply used my Astron power supply for the 12V.  This is
the same PS that operates everything in my station.  I first connected the
speakers to the "line out" but couldn't control the volume through the
software.  Using the headphone jack worked.  All in all, it was an easy,
inexpensive solution.

Eventually, I'll probably tap the speaker output and install a jack in the
rig, but I can't bring myself to do that to my brandy-new radio.

Take care es 73

Bob/KB2SGM