[TenTec] Chirpy CW-sound on an OMNI 6+

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Chirpy CW-sound on an OMNI 6+
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 11:05:33 -0400
To determine if the INRAD 2.8 kHz filter will be of benefit to you before
committing to a purchase, you may want to try the following test:

Critically listen to your transmitted CW on an alternate receiver using a
relatively wide I.F. and audio bandwidth.  While listening to your
transmitted signal on the external receiver send a string of dits and dahs
while alternating between the CW and FSK modes.  If the FSK mode sounds
noticably better than CW mode, the 2.8 kHz @ 9 MHz INRAD filter will help.

Functionally and electrically, the only difference in the keyed waveform
between CW and FSK is that the FSK BFO frequency is shifted up, well above
then knee of the stock 2.4 kHz filter.   All other key shaping and timing
parameters are identical between the two modes.

-Paul, W9AC