[TenTec] Rx-331 Front End - N4PY

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Rx-331 Front End - N4PY
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 13:16:28 -0400
Absolutely.  In fact, the one and only weak link in my RX-340/Pegasus
combination is the relatively high phase noise of the Pegasus synthesizer.
Not so with the RX-340.  In fact, I can null a received CW tone with known
low phase noise on the RX-340 to a greater degree than I can with my Omni
Six which uses crystal mixing.  The synthesizer in the RX-340 is that good.
Another absolutely stunning performance feature of the RX-331/340 is the
I.F. DSP shape factor.  I am now using a Fast Fourier Transform program from
Sound Technology Corporation called Spectra-Plus.  This is incredible
software if you're an audiophile and works very well in characterizing your
own transmitted SSB bandwidth for those who are now venturing into the Hi-Fi
SSB scene.  If you have a sound card in your PC, here's the link to a free
30-day trial:

http://www.telebyte.com/pioneer/

By clicking on the peak-hold button you can almost instantly characterize
any receive or transmitted passband characteristic.  With Spectra Plus, it's
very easy to see the RX-340's tight filter skirts.

Of course, the heart and soul of the RX-340/Pegasus world-class combination
is the N4PY software.  Those of you who think that excellent QSK cannot be
achieved with "separates," QSK is every bit as good as any other Ten-Tec
with Carl's sequencing protocol.   At some point, I'm hoping that Carl
bullet-points the entire feature set of his software as it has evolved over
the past year and a half.

As Carl noted, the front end on the RX-331/340 receivers is outstanding.  A
few weeks ago, I computed that you needed something like a 2 watt signal
driven directly into the receiver's antenna jack to overload and compress
the front end! (preamp off).

I think it would be great if Ten-Tec and Carl could demo of this combination
at Dayton.  I guarantee it would steal the show and be the talk even among
the die-hard FT-1000MP and ICOM-765PRO users.

-Paul, W9AC