[TenTec] microphones and ten tec gear

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] microphones and ten tec gear
From: RMcGraw@InfoAve.Net (Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 17:10:47 -0700
On the other hand, a mike like the D-104, using a crystal element has a
very high Z demand for its load.  The question then becomes is 10K ohms
high impedance or is 100K ohms high impedance.  Most designers today
make the assumption that 10K is Hi-Z while <600 ohms is Lo-Z.  D-104's
typically don't like either of these and the high frequency response is
the first to go.  The virgin (non-amplified) D-104 likes to see
something higher than 100K for its load.  The amplified base has a IC
that is equal to a FET thus the input Z for the mic is near 1 meg.
(depending on feedback gain of the device)

Secondly, the D-104 crystal element is very prone to go bad due to heat
and humidity.  A new element may solve the problem and restore the
"lollypop" to good as new.  Again, high frequency response is the first
to go.

73
Bob K4TAX