[TenTec] Pegasus and PSK-31/serial ports

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus and PSK-31/serial ports
From: RFpower@radiodan.com (Radiodan W7RF)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:57:35 -0700
While I don't have a Pegasus, I DO operate PSK 31 and have found that VOX is
NOT reliable because the narrow band of frequencies you transmit in PSK 31
MAY or MAY NOT key your transmitter using VOX. My VOX circuit seems to be OK
at certain PSK audio frequencies but not others (no good usually above 1200
Hz). This is not a problem using regular voice audio in VOX as the human
voice has a complex audio band of frequencies. Another way to do it is to
shift your RF frequency to have the decoded audio fall in your "sweet spot"
audio frequencies.
To be honest, I use manual PTT with my footswitch or mic PTT switch. I avoid
using another serial port this way.
Ya need a serial port for EVERTHING nowadays!
A HAM's computer should come with 6 ports as standard.

73, Dan Magro W7RF, (President WARC 1999, member SCDXC, SCCC)
Manufacturers Rep & Distributor for HENRY RF Power Amplifiers.
BIRD Power Measuring equipment, Still THE most accurate in the world!
Tohtsu coaxial relays, Samlex 25A power supply, Maha batteries & chargers
www.radiodan.com <http://www.radiodan.com/>     RFpower@radiodan.com
<mailto:RFpower@radiodan.com> A trip to our web site is worth the click!